Monday, June 25, 2007

Helsinki

we had a very packed day in helsinki. we arrived around 9:30 and checked right into the hostel (which is not as nice as the one in stockholm) but the four of us have a private room so it is ok. we did a self-led walking tour of the city which is very easy to explore by foot. we saw the parliament, senate square, some cathedrals, the waterfront, old market hall, olympic stadium, sibelius statue (which was very hard to find) and the other touristy things listed in the guide books. we weren't able to go to any museums because it is monday and they are all closed though we did go to the design center which had an interesting clothing\fabric exhibit. helsinki was not at all what i expected it to be...while it some beautiful buildings, there are drab areas that do not seem to fit with the stylish, clean image of the rest of the scandinavian countries. well i'm really excited and a little nervous to head to st. petersburg tomorrow. i hope all goes smoothly and will post as soon as i can (i don't expect any internet access while we're there - until 6-29) i will hopefully have access when we arrive in estonia. miss everyone so much!!!

5 comments:

mgolds57 said...

Hi Jess,

Well, I am trying to post to the blog again. It seems that it is still not letting me sign on. It sounds like you are having a good time, and seeing lots of great stuff. You are definitely doing a mad dash through some countries. I cannot believe how many you have been to in such a short time. Did I also see that you had a traditional swedish dinner that included fish and herrings, etc.? That doesn't sound like something that you would eat. I am sure that St. Petersburg will be beautiful. Mmmmm, borscht and pierogies or piroshki! Keep us posted Jess. We miss you too!

mgolds57 said...

Well, I obviously was able to get a comment posted again (and I managed to do it before your trip was over!). I hope that the trip to Russia went well, and that you have a great time. Are you still going to the ballet?
Love,
Mike

Unknown said...

Hi Jess!

How exciting your trip sounds! I'm so glad you're having a good time! We miss you lots and can't wait for you to come home and hear all about it!

Love,
Chris and Nicole

Marsha said...

Hi Jess,
I spoke to your mom earlier and she told me about this blog so I looked. Wow! Your trip sounds wonderful. I'm glad you are having a great time and I look forward to reading more about it. I've been to Scandinavia but never to your other destinations. Sigh.... Have fun!
Love,
Marsha

ike said...

Hi, Jessica!

We are very happy that you are having a great time and see so much in such a short time. I am sure the memories will last a lifetime, hope they will all be good ones.
We love you and miss you very much, can't wait to see you home. Have a great week, all the best to you and your friends, love,

Dad and Mom.